[NatureNS] Re: Possible 2nd Little Gull??

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:37:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Rare Bird Sightings NS-RBA <ns-rba@yahoogroups.com>

Hi Everyone;

I got great looks at the Little Gull today (Tues.
Aug.28th) at Conrad's - to the left of the road before
you get to the parking lot, around 7:00 p.m.

Problem is - the bird I saw was a juvenile Little
Gull.

It was very dark, with a mottled back, a black smudge
behind the eye, another black smudge on top of its
head.  It was bathing, so I got to see different parts
of its body:  the underwing was white with a distinct
black edge along the primaries and a trace of black
along the edge of the secondaries.  The tail had a
distinct black band at the tip.

A Black-headed Gull swam up to it - and the Little
Gull was about 3/4 of its size.  It was so small, at
first I didn't think it was a Gull.  When I got my
binocs on it, however, it was not only a Gull, it was,
unmistakeably, a Little Gull still in juvenile
plumage.

When I compare it to the photos taken by Bernard
Burke, I'm convinced it was a different bird!

Cheers;
Suzanne

http://bernieb.smugmug.com/gallery/916397/3/43464756/Medium

http://bernieb.smugmug.com/gallery/916397/3/43464757/Medium