[NatureNS] Potentially bad plans, Conrad Beach, HRM

From: "David&Jane Schlosberg" <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:05:39 -0300

As I understand it (I've only lived in this area for 25 years.), Conrad's
has a very long history of recreational use--especially for nighttime
drunken bonfire parties!  Removing an official "designation" will not change
this.  Even after the hurricane, when the boardwalk was wrecked, and even
when the bridge was closed, beach traffic was unabated.  I personally
dislike the dogs off-leash, but that's neither here nor there.  Lots of
people love the place and consider it their own. If the "park" designation
is removed, and the boardwalk isn't maintained, people will trample the
dunes.
We have to prevent further development though.  We need to find the best
strategy to gain this end.
Jane