[NatureNS] NatureNS archive

Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:00:17 -0300
From: Bob Lindsay <rhlindsay@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Good evening, everyone.

I just noticed something troubling with the new NatureNS archive, but
also what I think is a new feature with it. It now appears possible to
go to next or previous message in archive, which is great.

Now for the troubling thing: Not all messages are listed in the archive,
but only about 66% of them. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

The most recent message at this time is #7778, but there are only 5216
messages actually listed, and that works out to about 66.1%.

For example, all messages from #7759 through #7764 are missing - that
is, they aren't displayed on the screen at:

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/FNSN/MList/index.html

Although the missing messages are still in the archive, and you can
navigate to them via the "next message" and "previous message", you
can't see them listed when you look at the index.

Therefore, you'd have a real problem finding the message if you were
searching for, say, "Amherst Point" or "Osprey", and the message you're
looking for was one of the 2672 hidden ones.

So as it stands now, navigating by thread is now possible, but searching
by words of the subject line is now hit or miss, with a hit rate of 66%.

Bob Lindsay
Dartmouth