[NatureNS] spiders, water

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:00:24 -0300

	Thanks, David for that calculaltion, a real web of physics, round and round, to
anyone who escaped the subject after three days in a high school class with a brand new
text book which was nothing but math formulas and no background! Our chemisry book the
year before had been soooo  much better that I didn't have the patience to put up with the
new style. So I have been sorry ever since that I do not have a better background in
physics, and especially biophysics.
	The description of the European Water Spider in the Golden Guide to Spiders and
Their Kin is quite interesting, how it builds its nest under water, how it replenishes the
oxygen supply in it, how it raises its young there, how it swims upside down with its body
surrounded by oxygen clinging to the body hairs.
	Having looked at both photos of our native Dolmedes which Chris kindly provided, I
wonder if the length of the legs and the thickness of them is extraordinarily long and thick
compared to the landlubber spiders and their bodies, making the body to leg ratio different
which may give them different survival abilities in their aquatic habitats. Does this need to
be factored in to the equation?
	Is there any literature available on our Dolmedes telling about their adaptability to
their unlikely habitat? Do they have the ability to dive and pursue prey under water? Do I
remember corrrectly -probably not! -that we have at least 2 species of Dolmedes here in
NS? Do they build a web under water?  JET