[NatureNS] shorebirds- Wolfville harbour Fri. Aug 24 / 07; cardinals etc

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:18:04 -0300

 Fri. Aug 24 / 07 -  one hour before high tide (10.20 a.m.)

     Wolfville harbour   shorebird roost

 32 Gtr Yellowlegs,  1 Lsr Yellowlegs, I - Semipalmated Plover, 4 -
Wh-rumped Sandpiper,  3 - Short-billed Dowitcher,

 2 - Willet, 1 - Spotted Sandpiper,  along with ~200 'peeps'

Some other notes:

A friend on Kent Ave, Wolfville, reports a young Cardinal visiting her
feeder this week. Occasionally an adult male appears but not at the same
time.  Merritt Gibson has young from a second nesting coming to his feeder
in Canning now, usually accompanied by an adult male. He mentions there have
been at least three Cardinal nests, possibly four, in the Canning area this
year.

Aug 22: The last two of our male Ruby-throated hummingbirds (we had three),
left.

Aug 23:  Nashville Warbler at our feeding station.

Had a report of a V-formation of ~50 Canada Geese flying over Wolfville a
few days ago heading south-west, and a late report of a sighting of a N.
Mockingbird in Wolfville this spring, along Skyway Drive, south of the old
Wolfville Hospital.

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts