[NatureNS] Little Gull, Little Egret, Ruff, Hudsonian Godwit

From: <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:40:19 -0400

Got a message from Brendan Fogarty, a young American birder from New York state, who would like to send a posting to Nature NS. I met him at Pond Cove in Brier Island and alerted him about the American Avocet. At his request, I gave him directions to find the Hudsonian Godwits, etc. Here is his report:

Friday, August 25, 2007

I was able to have a Grand Slam today!

The Little Egret was at Dotties Pond. I could not locate the Ruff at Shorebird/Stinky/Smelly Cove as when I arrived, a Merlin showed all shorebirds out. I returned to Dottie's pond and the Ruff was there.

I could not locate any odd gulls from the Lawrenceton Trail, just a bunch of Hudsonian Godwits. Then in the estuary on the way in to Conrad's Beach there was the Little Gull and an apparent Black-headed Gull right next to it (the BH Gull seemed nearly twice the Little's size, so that's mainly how I made the ID. Photos of them will come later when I return home).

Thank you a million times over,

Brendan Fogarty
Nassau Co. NY