[NatureNS] re Bernard Burke's photos

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:10:04 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_pbVDPmFmWqeucb8ITn13ww)

Bernard, great photos as usual.  I have some comments, and am putting them
here for everyone rather than on each photo.

First, your ants attacking (no?) a large winged ant (yes) -- my guess is
that the smaller ones are just an unwinged contingent of non-reproductives
of the same species, just excited about the departure of the winged ones.
Often what can also be seen is two sizes of winged ones, i.e. small males
and much larger females -- but I don't know how general that is across ant
species and genera.

Your white moth might be a Satin Moth?, Leucoma salicis, in family
Lymantriidae?

Great shot by Rita of the Dobsonfly, which is a very large stream insect
whose larvae are called fish flies or hellgramites or other names?  (They
are predatory as larvae in streams.)

And I agree about your brood of ducks being ring-necked ducks.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville