[NatureNS] Update on Avocet, Brier Island

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:04:44 -0300

   Although it may still be there, the avocet is not always easy to find.  I
spent 2.5 hours around the ponds and coves at Pond Cove Sunday p.m. without
seeing or hearing it.   It could have been resting in the areas hidden by
tall marsh vegetation, but was certainly not active.  I spent a comparable
amount of along the shore at Westport, equally without success.  Probably,
like last year's Reef-Heron, it was flying between its two favorite sites at
the same time I was going from one to the other, but in the opposite
direction!  I did a brief stop at Freeport on the way home and heard
yellowlegs calling, but it was getting dark and I had not seen this message,
so did not check it thoroughly.

    There were a few other interesting shorebirds at Pond Cove, along the
Bay shore, including 45 Ruddy Turnstones, about 15 Willets,  three
Semipalmated Plovers, a few Least Sandpipers (heard only), an imm.
Black-bellied Plover, and a Whimbrel.  A flock of about 30 peep was seen at
Westport, probably Semipalmated S., but too far to be posidents; 6 Lesser
Yellowlegs were the only shorebirds hanging around to be seen there.  Great
chance to view moult progression in Herring Gull at either site!

Cheers,

Wayne Neily
Tremont, Nova Scotia

"Come forth into the light of things,
Let Nature be your teacher." - William Wordsworth, 1798.