Old Trees; Long: was Re: [NatureNS] Old Growth, wilderness area

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:50:49 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Flora & All, Aug 10, 2007
I read this some weeks ago and now, with an apparent lull in traffic can
make a few comments.

While there is some truth in much of this 'fact sheet', the degree of
distortion is such that 'Lie of the Land' might be a good subtitle.

On page one there is a poetic description of a pristine wilderness, OK
to a point, but while those forest floor mosses might be moist in
mid-summer, if it had rained hard the night before, they would in dry
periods be crispy crunch dry. And to cap this picture, brook trout lurk
under overhangs.

Then we are told that "...all of Nova Scotia was covered with variations
of this pristine natural wilderness. That is, before the first settlers
arrived and cleared the forests." To blame today's problems on the first
settlers, on agriculture or on forestry is a serious distortion, because
most of the damage has been done in the last 5 decades. And to use trout
as the mine canary, they were common in every Kings Co stream 50 years
ago (apart from sections trashed by cattle).

I recently went to Woodman Hollow, Kings County, to photograph some old
mortar-free stonework and because of what I saw, I decided to write this.

Woodman hollow, when I first saw it in about 1946 was reached by a
narrow gravel road.The bridge was one-lane and about 5 feet over the
brook. Three of us cut alder poles, wound a few feet of green cotton
fishing line on the end and in an hour or so had caught a good feed of
fat trout within ~100 paces upstream of the bridge.

When I next visited in the late 1960s, the road had been widened, the
bridge raised and that first hundred paces had been trashed by silt from
the new road but above that the stream was healthy (except for a short
section that had been pastured many decades previously and had never
recovered), narrow with many deep pools, only one short double channel
and good fishing. For several years I went there several times a summer.

After retirement in 1995 I went back again to fish. The road was by then
much wider and higher, about 30' over the brook. Runoff, along the south
side of this massive road, had cut a ravine about 8' deep and 8' wide
across the sled road that used to provide easy access to the flood plain
of the brook and across the flood plain. I fished downstream a bit,
caught and released several slinks and mourned the destruction that
large machine power to brain power ratios can generate.

But 1995 did not prepare me for 2007. Highway runoff has widened and
deepened the ravine, to about 10' x 10', as one might expect but the
brook upstream is a wreck. There has been huge streamflow instability
such that the single channel stream has in many places been replaced by
a network of braided channels, much soil and litter of 'islands' swept
away and previous rills with clean gravel are beds of stinking water
moss. I was so shocked to see this mess that I didn't even think to take
a photograph.

I don't know what triggered these flash floods. If, as I suspect, it was
due to cutting too large an area in too few years [a one-man machine
capable of felling, chunking, splitting and loading 60 cord of hardwood
firewood a day was rumored to be operating on the easterly watershed
about 10 years ago] then the idea of a narrow buffer zone of uncut trees
next to a brook is a sick joke. If runoff peaks are too large, due to
housing, highways or massive clearcuts on shallow soil then a buffer can
only protect the illusion that all is well.

It would be simplistic to assign the damage to cutting because, when I
first saw this brook in 1946, enough wood had been cut from the westerly
watershed to keep a sawmill running for about 6 decades [first a water
mill powered by the stream and later a steam mill] and all was fine.
Rather than oppose logging one should oppose massive clearcuts that
render large fractions of a watershed vulnerable all at one time.

Moving on to other statements we read that "Over the past 300 years,
most of Nova Scotia has been logged and/or cleared for agriculture."
While it is true that most of the good timberland has been cut and much
of the good farmland cleared a substantial fraction (at least 1/3 I
would guess) is virgin barren, swamp, bog or scrub forest. Some of these
barrens may be the end product of too many burns. (Fire was used to
rejuvinate game long before Europeans arrived and probably more widely
before they arrived than after.) But I suspect most represent the
failure of primary succession to create a soil out of polished bedrock.

Old forests are great but worship of Old Growth may broadcast the
message that 'Young Growth' forests are useless and this is just wrong.
Many of the postiive features of Old Growth that are described on page 3
(stream flow stability, soil conservation, nutrient retention) are also
characteristic of all forest cover that is more than 20-30 years old,
depending upon circumstances. So being logged is not the same as being
ruined. Forests grow back, provided they not converted into ticky-tacky
residential suburbs with miles of service roads that go nowhere; 4-lane
highways, etc. and the significant watershed is not the contrast between
old and young but the contrast between cut & paved on the one hand and
cut and allowed to grow back on the other.

"...species requiring large areas of undisturbed forests, such as
bears..." Bears like blueberries, a by-product of logging and burning,
and blueberries don't bear fruit in old growth forests.

"Bears also need large fallen trees for hibernating." Are we talking our
at best small hollow trees and 'honey I shrunk the bears' bears or using
fallen trees as a shelter ? I have never seen a bear den; just curious.
But I would expect to find them on steep, well drained slopes, dug in
under the root foot of a large standing live conifer.

"Another significant role of organic matter, such as dead wood, is the
storage of water." While finely divided organic matter that has become
incorporated into a soil profile will substantially increase
water-holding capacity, and coarse litter will conserve moisture by
acting as a mulch, dead wood may intercept light and moderate rains and
actually decrease the amount of water that reaches the root zone. So
unless the soil is deep and can store enough water in spring to last a
summer (exceptional soils only) too much dead wood can mean more dead wood.

"Twenty-five years ago, Bernard Forsyth, noticed many barred owls in the
woods, ...but realized ...(they)...couldn't...reproduce because big
trees were scarce in the Valley." "Had the early settlers left some big
trees, this situation would not have arisen..." Not to belittle the
value of nesting boxes, but I wonder how there were many owls if they
had not been able to reproduce.since arrival of the early settlers. Were
these very, very Old Growth owls ?

We all have better things to do so I will call this e-mail done.

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville