[NatureNS] more on N. sharp-tailed sparrows, was Red Phalarope,

Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 01:24:37 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Peter Hicklin <Peter.Hicklin@ec.gc.ca>

Early on Monday morning, August 6/07, I had a group of seven birders out at
The Guzzle (ne. Grand Pre dykelands), and we were fortunate thanks to sharp
eyes from Claudia ?? from Victoria, B.C., to find a male Nelson's
sharp-tailed sparrow that was incredibly cooperative, by perching on a rock
on top of the dyke just south of The Guzzle and singing repetitively and
very often for several minutes for good views with our scopes.

Also we had good viewing of not only the flying flocks of peeps, but close
views of least sandpipers, semipalmated sandpipers (one with a metal band
low on the right leg and a white flag band above the "knee" on the right
leg, spotted by Claudia's husband Darren from Victoria), semipalmated
plovers, and a single white-rumped sandpiper.

Once again the major site of action from the peeps, a few thousands of them,
about 2 hours after high tide, was at the east end of Evangeline Beach,
where the trees end, west of The Guzzle.  The peeps were flying about and
landing and having a feeding frenzy as the tide was ebbing.

The above spot is accessible by walking west along the dyke from the Guzzle,
or by walking east from the area of the Evangeline Beach motel and canteen.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville