[NatureNS] Raven question

Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 12:44:01 -0300
From: iamclar@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>

The other day at Rainbow Haven Beach, HRM, I came across a very tame N. Raven
perched atop a direction sign. It was clearly a young bird, and allowed us to
approach by car to within 2 m for photos.  Apparently two of them have been
hanging around the beach food concession cadging potato chips and other
goodies
from beach goers. I guess any wild bird can become tame in that sort of
situation. Presumably there is no need in this example to invoke "imprinting"
in the classical sense of, e.g., accepting a human foster parent as a "bird"
because of very early exposure.

Cheers, Ian McLaren