FW: [NatureNS] RFI shorebird numbers in the Grand Pre area / Minas

Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:41:12 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_+1q+99bBohi6wVNvHCPoXQ)

I can't give a short answer to Ulli's question, but he is right about the
places to look -- lately we have had the best luck at The Guzzle (ne. point
of the Grand Pre dykelands -- drive north across the dykelands north from
the hist. park, then turn right and drive past the silos and as far east as
you can go, and park there with the fishermen.  Walk to the north point of
the dyke and/or along the footpath east from the dyke out toward Boot Island
where a spit of land sometimes has peeps at your feet plus passing flying
flocks.  The best times are during the high tide period, from about 2-3
hours before high tide to about 2 hours after high tide.  My favourite area
is the east end of Evangeline Beach, which is accessible by a 15-20 minute
walk from either the Evangeline Beach canteen area or from The Guzzle along
the dyke toward the west.
And keep your eyes peeled for peregrine falcons and for merlins (pigeon
hawks).

Wolfville Harbour is worth checking at all stages of the tide, but at high
tide look along the railroad tracks on the rocks at the water line, east of
the pavilion.

Shorebirds at Grand Pre include semipalmated sandpipers, semipalmated
plovers, least sandpipers, white-rumped sandpipers, occasional sanderlings,
a few black-bellied plovers and short-billed dowitchers.  In Wolfville look
for greater and lesser yellowlegs, willets, perhaps a Hudsonian godwit?,
etc.

Good luck, and Cheers from Jim in Wolfville