[NatureNS] ragged fringed orchids

From: "Heather Drope" <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:44:48 -0300
CC: David.Patriquin@Dal.ca, barry.sawyer@ns.sympatico.ca,

The Platanthera  lacera, Ragged fringed orchids, are very
much blooming right now here in Halfiax. A great display of
them can be found on the way to Bayers Lake park.. I had
found some on a bank last week,or the week before - time
flies this time of year, and last night found more almost
across the road. Now where are they?
Exiting the city on the St.Marg.Bay road, continue past the
lights for NWArm Drive to the next set of lights which are
for the Prospect turn off. Don't turn! Continue for at least
twenty feet or more and pull off on the side of the road to
the right of course. They are up on a grassy bank right
there. This bank is halfway between the two sets of lights
the second set of lights being the ones for turning off to
head for Bi Hi..
It was at this turn off while heading for Bi.Hi, last night, that
I looked down on my left into the ditch and there were
many, many more P.lacera.
If anyone visits this second site, please be very, very
careful. Site number one has a good  pull off but there is
none for the second site so it would have to be looked at
on foot. Busy road and turnoff there.
Site number one is worth a good look at because to the
right end of the colony one can spot the small little Club
spur orchid blooming.
Thought I would share this find with this list. Anyone who
can not do much walking thru the woods anymore would
find site one a good spot to look at without getting out of
the car. Good binoculars would bring them in even closer.
Heather D in Halifax