[NatureNS] Re: Storm-Petrel, Saltmarsh Trail, HRM

Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:12:05 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>

We were really surprised to see a little Storm-Petrel sitting in the
water about 25-30 M from the Salt Marsh Trail this afternoon.  We think
it was a Leach's, but if anyone has time to go tomorrow and check it
out, perhaps you'll get a closer view.  We have some pictures of it
sitting in the water, but none flying, so the white band on the rump
doesn't show at all.  We did see that when it flew, and we think it had
a notched tail, but didn't get a close enough view.  So there is a
possibility that it might be a Band-rumped Storm-Petrel. It kept flying
out to the closest grassy point on the left of the trail, then drifting
back towards the first bridge.  Just before 6:30 p.m. the terns started
chasing it.  It was able to elude them, but flew way back into the
marsh, at which point we decided to give up trying for a closer view,
and headed for our supper.  If anyone wants to see some not-too-great
photos, we can send them to you.  Thanks, Ian, for posting it earlier,
in case anyone wanted to try for it tonight.

Lois Codling