FW: [NatureNS] salt water black ducks

Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:02:24 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Randy Milton <miltongr@gov.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_LDVqDvE/6NmteApqewW0dA)

I once heard on the soundtrack of a Ducks Unlimited film on the Bay of Fundy
that black ducks are different from other surface-feeding ducks (vs. diving
or bay ducks) in that their ducklings are able to tolerate salt or brackish
water, whereas other dabblers' ducklings can only handle fresh water when
they are young.  Thus black ducks may have had a long history of breeding
along brackish shores and in salt-marshes.

Perhaps Randy Milton of N.S. Dept. Nat. Resources can comment on this?

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville