[NatureNS] Atlasing today

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 02:10:04 +0000

I had great hopes to complete my point counts today for the Mush-A-Mush
square.  I managed to do three more counts and have two left.  Stop number
two was hard to find.  The map shows a road going into Mush-A-Mush.  I
actually tried four roads in before finally hitting the right one.  I wasted
two hours and was beyond count time, so will have to return now that I know
the location.  I kept getting to within a km of the location on the gps.
Figures that it was the last road in that I tried and one I have not
traversed before.  On a plus side a lot of great territory for birding and
for odes and leps.  I also found another pair of northern waterthrushes.  My
fifth pair within the square that I have located.  I had the best viewing of
one of these birds that I have had in many years today.  There were quite a
few white admirals around and I found my first river jewelwings and a superb
jewelwing, which also was a first for me.  The book does not show it, but I
had bright blue jewelwings and some with variable blue and emerald.  I'm
assuming these are just river jewelwings.  I also had four-spotted skimmers,
saw some unidentified spreadwings and had a lancelet clubtail.  I saw quite
a few other odes, but my camera batteries expired and could not get photos.
Found some great locations to go back to later though.

I got confirmation of Chipping sparrow feeding young today.  There are more
of these birds around then I have ever seen this year.  I also picked up
three new species for the square.  Two I was expecting but did not find
until today, which was rose-breasted grosbeak, a female in great territory
and white-breasted nuthatch.  When doing a point count I had a woodpecker
fly in and land on a light pole.  I took a second take as it was not
something I was expecting.  This bird was by the entrance to Sucker Lake and
it was a red-bellied woodpecker.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

New Windows Live Hotmail is here. Upgrade for free and get a better look.
www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA150