[NatureNS] Re: Why do male hummers...

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 22:51:51 -0300
From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi, Peter.

I've been away atlassing, so am just reading this series of messages now.
I'd like to add that Ruby-throated Hummingbirds do typically raise more than
one brood per season across most of their breeding range, so that seems the
most obvious reason for males to remain.  The Birder's Handbook (an
excellent resource) indicates that this species has 2 and occasionally 3
broods.  Being at the northern extreme of their range, we seldom see this
here.  But I helped document a successful 2nd brood raised by a female
Ruby-throated a few years ago at Folly Lake (in NS, near the NB border).
She was seen building the 2nd nest while still feeding the young in the
first.  Two young fledged from each nest.

I understand that this was the first documented 2nd brood for NS, as far as
reports to the Nest Records database go.  A female hummer had built a late
(July) nest in the same tree the previous year, presumably also a second
nesting attempt, but had abandoned it before it was complete.  This may be
more common than we realize.

Even with few second broods raised here, it seems to me advantageous for
males to remain in the vicinity, in case of early nest failures, e.g. in
cold, windy, rainy Junes.

Cheers,
Susann