[NatureNS] More on hummers

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:16:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Suzanne and All
Although I do not put out feeders, the humming birds
visit the rhodos and azalea that are in bloom. Sort of
natural feeders they come around in regular numbers
all season. The highly colored rhodos seem to attract
them but they will quickly switch to a white one.
Highly scented Vicosium azaleas are well attractive.
These azaleas are native all the way to Florida from
NE so prehaps they are used to the scent. Good plants
they are. The visits are short but they will sometimes
rest on the close line.
Enjoy the summer
Paul

--- Suzanne Townsend <suzanne.townsend@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The feeders here in Boutiliers Pt. have been getting
> only an occasional
> visitor for almost a week. I was thinking, maybe
> it's because there are so
> many delectable alternatives blooming now.
>

> On 6/26/07, Phil & Maria Forman
> <phil.forman@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Same here in Debert....nesting perhaps???  Still,
> they have to eat!!
> > Maria Forman
> > Debert, NS
> >
> > Mike McCall wrote:
> > > Same subject different behaviour.
> > >
> > > My busy hummer feeder has had no visitors for
> three days.
> > > All activity ceased just as quickly as you can
> say "knife".
> > >
> > > Is this unusual, connected with egg-sitting, due
> to the males going
> > > into the woods
> > >
> > > Worried in Hall's' Harbour

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's