[NatureNS] National Pollinator Week

From: "Wild Flora" <herself@wildflora.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:31:40 -0300

Hi all,
I just finished posting the following to my blog, but I thought members of
this list might be interested.

TOMORROW, JUNE 24, MARKS THE BEGINNING of the first National Pollinators
Week in the United States, where it will be commemorated by the release of a
Pollination Stamp Series by the U.S. Post Office. When placed together,
these stamps form the lovely image shown above. [You can see the image at my
blog, http://www.wildgardeners.blogspot.com/ or by going to the site
mentioned below.]

For those of us who love pollinators (and who wouldn't?), the great news is
that Pollinator Week brings with it a host of pollinator-related events in
the United States (and one event being held in Mexico), along with goodies
available via the Internet for everyone to enjoy. The Pollinator Partnership
website [http://www.pollinator.org/pollinator_week.htm] has information on
National Pollinator Week activities, including:

A gorgeous poster that can be downloaded in .pdf format. Up to 3 copies of
this poster can be ordered for a shipping charge of just US$5; this shipping
offer is apparently available in both the U.S. and Canada.

A clever "Pollinator Garden Wheel" that gives a simple explanation of why
pollinators are important and some basic advice on creating a
pollinator-friendly garden. This can be downloaded in .pdf format or ordered
for US$5 shipping. Again, this shipping offer is apparently available in
Canada as well as in the U.S.

Copy of a National Academy of Sciences study on the status of pollinators in
North America,. The book costs US$43 book if you buy it in paper format, but
you can read it online for free.

"Fast Facts for Gardeners" downloadable fact sheet in .pdf format.

Downloadable versions of the stamp art shown above. I'm using mine as
wallpaper for my computer. (See the Pollinator Partnership website for links
to these.)

Downloadable brochure from the U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service
on Farming for Pollinators. (This is different from the publications on
farming for bees and pollinators available from the Xerces Society.)

Wild Flora