[NatureNS] Colony Collapse Disorder

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:59:29 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Kent & All,            June 20, 2007
    I know practically nothing about Honey Bees but understand that a
hive population is a highly organized social structure with skills for
the various specialized functions being imprinted early in development.

    If it is true that bees can not readily adapt to changes in hive
composition, then could not sufficient loss of forager bees cause the
hive system to go into a tailspin ?

    In 1962, when we drove across the U.S. in August, we were cautioned
in some western states (Utah, Montana and Idaho ?) to clean our radiator
of bees before going up mountains. Apparently a lot of vehicles in that
area were getting bees on their radiators, leading to overheated cooling
systems and unscheduled stops. Bees then, were a local problem to motor
vehicles.

    With many more motor vehicles now on more roads, could motor
vehicles now be a widespread problem to bees ?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville