[NatureNS] FW: blister beetles?, Lytta sayi? eating choke cherry petals in Canning

Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:30:18 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Ian, thanks for the posting plus the Web-site, and now we'll see what your
note generates.  Cheers from Jim
----------
From: Ian Paterson <Ian.Paterson@Dal.Ca>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 20:05:08 -0300
To: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Subject: nature NS posting

Hi Jim,

I can't seem to find how to post on Nature NS (i can read the posts no
problem).
Can you please post this for me?  Thanks, ip

Blister Beetles:
Our chokecherry trees behind the house (in Canning) have attracted many
dozens
of blister beetles which are feeding on the flowers petals.  Perhaps I have
missed it in other years, but this is the first time I have noticed these
beetles on the trees.  They are large (~3/4? to 1? [inch?] [Web site says up
to 3/4 in.]) and fairly pretty.
 From a search online, it looks like they are Lytta sayi (see image
here:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/YGLNews/YGLNews-June1506.html)

They are doing quite a god job at eating most of the chokecherry
flowers.  Does
anyone know if this particular species (assuming I have the correct
identification) is one whose larvae feed on bees?

Cheers,
Ian Paterson