[NatureNS] Photographing high tides

From: Sherman Williams <sherm@glinx.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:15:35 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-1--1006010784
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

My 2 cents worth on the topic:

When I've led field trips featuring the contrasts in tidal events
I've usually taken people to two places, beginning at low tide, then
high tide (occasionally the other way around):

         1)  Evangeline Beach:  the Minas Basin's extensive tidal
flats fare well exposed with the low waterline stretching far
offshore;  six hours later the Basin is full and the tide is lapping
at the protective boulders lining the shoreline  (also as an added,
on site bonus, is an impressive shorebird interprative display ).

         2) Government wharf in Hantsport:  there is a good chance
that at low tide the very large tugboat, The Spanish Mist, will be
sitting high and dry, down on the mud. It is a bit scary when one
cautiously looks down over the end of the wharf, to the mud below.
The expanse of the Avon River looks practically empty.  At high tide,
The Spanish Mist rides high, well up on side the wharf. The Avon
River is filled with water.

An extra bonus here, is the Fundy Gypsum loading facility which once
or twice a week, on a single tide, fills large ocean going vessels
with 20 to 35 thousand tons of gypsum ore.  The ships come in on the
rising tide and in about 3 to 3.5 hours, will be fully loaded, ready
to depart just as the tide peaks. The ships utilize of the energy of
the falling tide as they head out into the outer  Bay of Fundy.

Of added interest:  next to the wharf is the Minas Basin Pulp and
Paper Company,  operating  entirely on wood fiber obtained through
paper and cardboard recycling programs.

The greater the range of tide, the more impressive the contrast from
low to high tide.  The greatest extreme is demonstrated in the well
known Hantsport wharf photo by Roy Bishop, featured in the 2000 BNS
calendar-March  ( taken at the Hantsport wharf, Jan 29, 1979 on a New
Moon at close perigee, when Earth was at perihelion and  there was a
very low barometer) These events combining close in time, produced
the 16 metre tide that day.  http://www.town.wolfville.ns.ca/visitors/
sites/highesttides/highesttides.html

Unfortunately just now we are between the extreme ranges of tide;
perigee is aligned neither with New nor Full Moon.  It will be late
August, as perigee creeps up on the Full Moon, that we will begin to
see the next period of tidal extremes.   Perigee will align with Full
Moon in September, October and November (greatest range of tides for
the year expected in October).

There are other interesting locations where the tide contrast is just
as well presented but probably another reason why the above have
worked well for me is that they are conveniently located for catching
the tidal bore at the bridge near Mantua, not far from Windsor.

Enough for now; this has become more than intended when I started
tapping the keyboard.

Cheers,
    Sherman

Sherman Williams
sherm@glinx.com (until June 30) or shermw@xcountry.tv (new e-mail
address)
website:  http://www.glinx.com/~sherm (until end of June)

On 7-Jun-07, at 10:45 AM, Peter Payzant wrote:

> Hi, all-
>
> A friend of ours, a visiting scientist from China, wants to
> photograph some site on the Bay of Fundy at high tide and again at
> low tide. I have the BNS calendar so I can tell her when the times
> are and what the tidal range will be, but I'd like to direct her to
> a suitable spot.
>
> There's a famous view of a huge wharf which everyone photographs,
> but I don't know where it is. Can someone tell me how to find this
> place, or if there are any other favourite locations, where they are?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter Payzant

--Apple-Mail-1--1006010784

<HTML><BODY style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -khtml-nbsp-mode: space; =
-khtml-line-break: after-white-space; ">My 2 cents worth on the =
topic:<DIV><BR class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>When I've =
led field trips featuring the contrasts in tidal events I've usually =
taken people to two places, beginning at low tide, then high tide =
(occasionally the other way around):=A0=A0</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>=A0 =A0=A0 =A0=A0 1)=A0 =
Evangeline Beach:=A0 the Minas Basin's extensive tidal flats fare well =
exposed with the low waterline stretching far offshore;=A0 six hours =
later the Basin is full and the tide is lapping at the protective =
boulders lining the shoreline=A0 (also as an added, on site bonus, is an =
impressive shorebird interprative display ).</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>=A0 =A0 =A0=A0 =A02) =
Government wharf in Hantsport:=A0 there is a good chance that at low =
tide the very large tugboat, The Spanish Mist, will be sitting high and =
dry, down on the mud. It is a bit scary when one cautiously looks down =
over the end of the wharf, to the mud below.=A0 The expanse of the Avon =
River looks practically empty.=A0 At high tide, The Spanish Mist rides =
high, well up on side the wharf. The Avon River is filled with =
water.=A0</DIV><DIV><BR class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>An =
extra bonus here, is the Fundy Gypsum loading facility which once or =
twice a week, on a single tide, fills large ocean going vessels with 20 =
to 35 thousand tons of gypsum ore.=A0 The ships come in on the rising =
tide and in about 3 to 3.5 hours, will be fully loaded, ready to depart =
just as the tide peaks. The ships utilize of the energy of the falling =
tide as they head out into the outer=A0 Bay of Fundy.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Of added interest:=A0 next =
to the wharf is the Minas Basin Pulp and Paper Company,=A0 operating=A0 =
entirely on wood fiber obtained through paper and cardboard recycling =
programs.=A0 =A0</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>The greater the range of =
tide, the more impressive the contrast from low to high tide.=A0 The =
greatest extreme is demonstrated in the well known Hantsport wharf photo =
by Roy Bishop,=A0featured in the 2000 BNS calendar-March=A0 (=A0taken at =
the Hantsport wharf, Jan 29, 1979 on a=A0New Moon at close perigee, when =
Earth was at perihelion and=A0 there was a very low barometer) These =
events combining close in time, produced the 16 metre tide that day.=A0=A0=
<A =
href=3D"http://www.town.wolfville.ns.ca/visitors/sites/highesttides/highes=
ttides.html">http://www.town.wolfville.ns.ca/visitors/sites/highesttides/h=
ighesttides.html</A></DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Unfortunately just now we =
are between the extreme ranges of tide; perigee is aligned neither with =
New nor Full Moon.=A0 It will be late August, as perigee creeps up on =
the Full Moon, that we will begin to see the next period of tidal =
extremes.=A0 =A0Perigee will align with Full Moon in September, October =
and November (greatest range of tides for the year expected in =
October).</DIV><DIV><BR class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>There=
 are other interesting locations where the tide contrast is just as well =
presented but probably another reason why the above have worked well for =
me is that they are conveniently located for catching the tidal bore at =
the bridge near Mantua, not far from Windsor.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Enough for now; this has =
become more than intended when I started tapping the =
keyboard.</DIV><DIV>=A0 =A0 =A0</DIV><DIV>Cheers,</DIV><DIV>=A0 =
=A0Sherman</DIV><DIV><BR class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>=A0 =
=A0=A0 =A0<BR><DIV> <SPAN class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><SPAN =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; =
border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><DIV>Sherman =
Williams</DIV><DIV>sherm@glinx.com =
(until June 30) or=A0<A =
href=3D"mailto:shermw@xcountry.tv">shermw@xcountry.tv</A> (new e-mail =
address)</DIV><DIV>website:=A0 <A =
href=3D"http://www.glinx.com/~sherm">http://www.glinx.com/~sherm</A> =
(until end of June)</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><BR =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></SPAN></SPAN> =
</DIV><BR><DIV><DIV>On 7-Jun-07, at 10:45 AM, Peter Payzant =
wrote:</DIV><BR class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><BLOCKQUOTE =
type=3D"cite"><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Hi, all-</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">A friend =
of ours, a visiting scientist from China, wants to photograph some site =
on the Bay of Fundy at high tide and again at low tide. I have the BNS =
calendar so I can tell her when the times are and what the tidal range =
will be, but I'd like to direct her to a suitable spot.</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">There's =
a famous view of a huge wharf which everyone photographs, but I don't =
know where it is. Can someone tell me how to find this place, or if =
there are any other favourite locations, where they are?</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; =
">Thanks</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Peter Payzant</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: =
14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV> =
</BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>=

--Apple-Mail-1--1006010784--