[NatureNS] Too many Blue Jays??

Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:20:21 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <az678@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I find bluejays certainly hog the feeders when I first put them up in
the autumn* but, after many years of feeding now feel that this
eventually levels off and that in the end all species finally settle
down to getting a fair crack at the feeders on a daily basis - so
perhaps start by just waiting a while ......
While on the topic of bluejays, the one I reported on last autumn with a
broken and severely malpositioned R leg (also identifiable by a
distinctive small white slash of white at the base of its tail) which
returned for the fourth autumn in a row has, impressively survived yet
another winter. There was a difference this time though; rather than
aggressively dominating the feeding 'saucer' it tended to feed alone
after all the other bluejays had left.
* Re the remarks about the value of feeding birds all summer made
earlier by ? you, I think Lois; they make a  great deal of sense,
however it is not so easy for me to do this as my home is surrounded by
cats and while I can barricade the feeder area off in the winter this is
not possible in the summer months due to human traffic in the area. I
will see if I can work out a way round this....
Eleanor Lindsay,
Seabright