[NatureNS] bees

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:02:03 -0300

	I have been walking about town quite a bit this morning, and now I look very
consiously at flower beds and shrubs. I did have one lovely bumblebee outside my front
door this morning which seemed to be going about Bess' flowers in a healthy manner. Saw
my first Tiger Swallowtail downtown about 11:15 which is a pretty dangerous place for it to
be near the street and fast moving cars. About an hour ago I was carefully inspecting
gardens for Tiger Lily beetles (none, thank goodness) but no bees or wasps. One hornet was
flying back and forth near the hose attachement to the house. Thirsty in the heat? In one
flower bed there was a bee mimic fly which seemed to be healthy. Lots of flowers but no
bees of any sorts. A large hedge of light lavendar lilacs was at its prime. No insect life of
any sort flying about those blooms which normally attract so much. Nothiing around the
horse chestnut blooms, either, which are in their full glory. The wind is probably not helping
much, but it really isn't that bad for bees, usually. Jean in Wolfville