[NatureNS] a question about deceased birds

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 08:26:37 -0300
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

    PM&lt;/DI
------=_Part_41221_15238891.1181129197125

Interesting that someone would be charged for the possession of a dead
Gannet...I wonder what they were going to do with it. I'm glad the
enforcement folks are taking this seriously though.

However, it has always been my experience that "letter of the law" and
"meaning of the law" in this case can be radically different. If someone
finds a window-killed bird, the letter of the law says they cannot pick it
up. I suspect no authority would charge you for picking it up with the
intention of disposing of it. A lot of people keep window kill for me (and
perhaps other curators as well), and if enforcement officers happen to find
"the stash", a simple call to me would confirm the intent, which I believe
is of utmost importance in prosecution. So, this means if you are keeping a
condor/cod/cougar in your freezers for a recognized collection, let the
curator know that you've got it.

And for those that do do this...thank you. Future artists, authors,
historians, law enforcement folk and yes, even biologists, will be able to
be inspired or educated by your contribution.

Randy
St. Francis Xavier University, Biology