[NatureNS] Honey Bees

Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 21:19:11 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

class=Apple-style-span face=Times&
Hi John & All,            June 5, 2007
    Honey Bees were abundant in our yard on Apr 20 when a warm afternoon
and Crocus blooms coincided. We continued to have moderate numbers,
during warm sunny weather, as long as the Crocus was in bloom and then
just a few strays working Ground Ivy.

    I don't pretend to know much about Honey Bees, just what I have
observed in a casual way, but they are drawn to well fertilized &
vigorous plants. In some plots one summer, in which I was using
Buckwheat as an indicator of nutrient release from Rockweed waste, there
was a close correlation between plant vigor (height and bloom density)
and bee activity.

     So absence in an orchard could mean that there are few bees in the
area or alternatively it may mean that there is something more
attractive elsewhere.

    Also, if it is too cool for flight they will not be active.

Yours truly Dave Webster, Kentville