[NatureNS] Fw: Barred Owl, Black-crowned Night Heron, Brown Thrasher,

Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 19:33:59 -0300
From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_nZsKLUXfMLaVlLIauwwZKQ)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:33 PM
Subject: Barred Owl, Black-crowned Night Heron, Brown Thrasher, American Oystercatcher, Gray Catbird and others

I joined four other intrepid birders for a sortie to Cape Sable today in calm winds, moderate temperatures and bright sunshine.  It could not have been better.

Shortly after sunrise along Highway #103 during my drive south I spotted a Barred Owl sitting in a roadside tree near exit #21.  It didn't stay long but I managed a few quick photos in the early morning's light.

Upon arriving on Cape Sable Island I searched out the Black-crowned Night Herons and found two at Daniel's Head, south side of the entrance road.  A circuitous drive to the dock was eventful when I spotted a Brown Thrasher by the loop road, west of the "hole".

Our boat ride to Cape Sable was on a calm sea. The only excitement generated was when I spotted our first American Oystercatcher of the day, on an islet mid channel.

Once on Cape Sable I immediately headed for "the forest" and found two Gray Catbirds. Others in our group later found three. "The forest" is a fenced in cluster of gnarled trees adjacent a large rock comprising perhaps an area, 10 metres by 10 metres.  This represents the full extent of woodland on Cape Sable!

West of the shore bird flats were two American Oystercatchers.  We first spotted these birds shortly after disembarking when one was chasing a gull.

On the east end of the cape the Black-backed Gulls were very aggressive, dive bombing me within a metre of my head.  Oddly the Herring Gulls were not so aggressive.

I've attached a bunch of photos, highlights #97-100 and #1-9. The last two photos in this set are of the Catbirds at "the forest".

Hans

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlight97.html

When viewing images tap F11 or View Full Screen and use the navigation buttons on my website
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
E-mail: htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca
Migration Count: http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html
Nature Website: http://hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_nZsKLUXfMLaVlLIauwwZKQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com">Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:33 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Barred Owl, Black-crowned Night Heron, Brown Thrasher,
American Oystercatcher, Gray Catbird and others</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I joined four other intrepid birders for a sortie
to Cape Sable today in calm winds, moderate temperatures and bright
sunshine.&nbsp; It could not have been better.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Shortly after sunrise along Highway #103 during my
drive south I spotted a Barred Owl sitting in a roadside tree near exit
#21.&nbsp; It didn't stay long but I managed a few quick photos in the early
morning's light.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Upon arriving on Cape Sable Island I searched out
the Black-crowned Night Herons and found two at Daniel's Head, south side of the
entrance road.&nbsp; A circuitous drive to the dock was eventful when I spotted
a Brown Thrasher by the loop road, west of the "hole".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Our boat ride to Cape Sable was on a calm sea. The
only excitement generated was when I&nbsp;spotted&nbsp;our first American
Oystercatcher of the day, on an islet mid channel.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Once on&nbsp;Cape Sable I immediately headed for
"the forest" and found two Gray Catbirds. Others in our group later found three.
"The forest" is a fenced in cluster of gnarled trees adjacent a large rock
comprising perhaps an area, 10 metres by 10 metres.&nbsp; This represents the
full extent of woodland on Cape Sable!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>West of the shore bird flats were two American
Oystercatchers.&nbsp; We first spotted these birds shortly after disembarking
when one was chasing a gull.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>On the east end of the cape the Black-backed Gulls
were very aggressive, dive bombing me within a metre of my head.&nbsp; Oddly the
Herring Gulls were not so aggressive.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I've attached a bunch of photos, highlights #97-100
and #1-9. The last two photos in this set are of the Catbirds at "the
forest".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hans</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlight97.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlight97.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial
viewing images tap F11 or View Full Screen and use the navigation buttons on my
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>E-mail: <A
href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca</A><BR>Migration
Count: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html">http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html</A><BR>Nature
Website: http://hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_nZsKLUXfMLaVlLIauwwZKQ)--