[NatureNS] daphne

Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:09:03 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Jean Timpa wrote:

>	I have never reacted to poison ivy, and I know I have brushed up
>against it a number of times.

Hi Jean & All,                May 28, 2007
    One curious feature of Poison Ivy, and perhaps other allergic
reactions, is drift in sensitivity over time. Five decades ago I did not
react to Poison Ivy at all and e.g. several times climbed up dry cliff
faces through thickets of Poison Ivy, while streaming sweat, and even
used these plants as climbing aids with never a hint of a blister.

    The change has been gradual but now I can get a reaction just from
contact with boots or pant cuffs after having walked through Poison Ivy.

Yt, DW, Kentville