[NatureNS] Middleton Swifts

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 22:43:38 -0300

Because of recent reports that the Chimney Swifts have started showing up
early, I arrived at the Middleton High School chimney at 7:50 pm. There were
excellent condition with a very high overcast and a breeze from the south
west. However, there were no sounds or sights until 8:30pm when the first
five birds arrived, flying very high. As late as 8:45, only about 20 birds
were occasionally in view.

The swifts seemed nervous and reluctant to approach the chimney, but I saw
nothing that tried to interfere with them. The first bird entered at 8:47pm
and then the next one at 8:50. At 8:55 the third one entered at which time
about 30 were in circuit.
8:58 a single bird
9:00 a loose group of 6 entered
The main body dropped in between 9:02 and 9:07 in several well spaced
groups.
The automatic parking light lights came on at 9:07 just as the last of the
main body was dropping into the chimney.
2 laggards showed up at 9:10 and 3 more at 9:12
I left at 9:15 as it was getting too dark and there were no sounds of
anything.

Total number of birds entering the chimney - 99, quite a lot less than I had
expected.

John Belbin  - Kingston