[NatureNS] Summer Bird Feeders

Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 18:29:49 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Anna, I checked out the size of a Goldfinch territory in Stokes 'Guide
to Bird Behaviour', Vol.1 of Stokes Nature Guides by Donald & Lillian
Stokes.  If you have the right territory for a Goldfinch nest, which
they describe as "open areas, either marshy or near water, with
scattered shrubs and/or saplings", they give 1/4 acre to an acre or more
as the usual territory size.  But they also say that, "Territorial
behaviour in Goldfinches is most prominent in crowded areas where the
territories may be as small as one hundred feet in diameter."  So I
guess it depends on how desirable your yard is to them!  Also, although
we are witnessing courtship behaviour now, Goldfinch don't actually nest
until late summer - July & August.

Lois Codling