[NatureNS] Pink sands at Kejimkujik Seaside Adjunct

From: "Peter Hope" <peterhope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 21:39:36 -0300

I just read all the email on pink sands. Brian is correct, they are fine
particles of garnet. There are garnets in the neaby rock that are weathered
out by wave action, etc and that reddish (garnet) colour is the typical
colour of the mineral. The waves sort the materials and so bands, or thin
layers of like materials are deposited together on the beach..

When I dragged my toe through them these garnet layers were always on the
surface so I had wondered and assumed they were lighter that the other beach
materials. Anyway the idea is they are a different density.

Pete