[NatureNS] Study: West Nile virus decimates suburban birds -- Herald, May 17, 2007

Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 20:52:59 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Dear All, May 17, 2007
It is not entirely clear form this article, whether these birds that
happen to be characteristic of suburbia are more affected than other
species or whether these birds are more affected in surburbia than they
are elsewhere.

I suspect the latter because storm drain cisterns in surburbia, to judge
from nearby ones, can be ideal incubators for mosquitos as opposed to
similar cisterns in heavy traffic areas where oil slicks are more
likely. [The water in cisterns, that lies below the level of the outlet,
drains very slowly if fine soil is present because soil structure slakes
on prolonged exposure to water and water channels become very narrow and
tortuous. Thus mud puddles, ponds and lakes tend not to leak.]

I think some studes of cistern biology might be interesting and could
lead to good control of surburban mosquitoes without squirting DDT, or
equivalent, over everything 4 or 5 times a month; the latter being
likely if people get frantic when West Nile builds up.

To stimulate some thought on this, and perhaps some informed feedback,
an excerpt of an e-mail that I sent to our Head of Town Public Works
(Hal Henderson; Feb 6, 2007) is pasted below.

START OF PASTE\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
I may have mentioned this previously but I have wondered for years
why nobody has devised storm drains that don't act as mosquito habitat.
With West Nile coming along, homeowners are told to dispose of possible
habitat such as old tires, tin cans etc but with storm drains providing
ideal mosquito habitat this is just more wheel spinning. The problem can
be partitioned into three parts: (1) control of mosquito larvae (2)
maintaining the control conditions over time and (3) getting regulatory
approval for the control procedure.

Both nos 1 & 2 are relatively easy I think, i.e. (1) an oil film for
control, (2) an outlet fitted with an elbow that faces downward into
the cistern and that in addition has an air hole on the upper side (or a
downrunning extension) to prevent any chance of siphoning. Regulatory
approval (3) could be difficult, I don't know, but a small test re 1 & 2
would be interesting and might lead to something, like fewer mosquitos
in urban settings.

Well worthwhile I would think even if it only led to fewer bug zappers.

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville