[NatureNS] Summer Tanager and others

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 23:39:41 +0000

Dorothy Poole and I today had were privileged to be allowed to see a summer
tanager in Middle LaHave.  This bird has been present for two days now and
is still changing from a young bird into an adult in regards to plumage.  It
is a male.  The property owner has kindly consented to let others  come and
see this bird.  He would like you to call first so that you can be updated
if it is still there and also so that he knows the numbers of people who
will be coming.  His name is Glen Durnford and his phone number is 766-4582.
  I've left out the house number so that people do not show unannounced.

I forgot to mention that at Cherry Hill yesterday was a male and female
northern shoveler.  This is the first time I have personally seen this
species there.

Other birds of note was a report of a white-crowned sparrow in Lunenburg.
A report of an orchard oriole, which was at Broad Cove for four days feeding
at a hummingbird feeder.  I was not contacted until yesterday and the bird
was not seen today.  I went to see if it might still be around but was
unsuccessful in finding it.  I did find my first Nashville warbler of this
year there though.

Another report came from Rose Bay of an Eastern towhee, which was present
for two days, but has not left.

Baltimore orioles have been reported over the last week to me from various
locations.

Today Dorothy and I were very pleased to find a number of new year birds.
We had a nice selection of warblers and other species at Mush-A-Mush Beach
along the roadside there.  We had between there and the Upper Northfield
area:

Blackburnian Warblers 2 (one male and one female)
Black-throated Green Warblers 13
Northern Parula 10
Magnolia Warbler 1
Ovenbird 3
Black & White Warbler 4
Yellow Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 7

Over Sucker Lake, one Wilson's Snipe

At Upper Northfield, one white-crowned sparrow

A chipping sparrow was at Upper Northfield

Least Flycatchers 5

In all we had 54 species and I added four or five more species to that this
evening.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Windows Live Hotmail with drag and drop, you can easily move and organize
your mail in one simple step. Get it today!
www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA153