Re: [NatureNS] ravens attack rcmp cars in berwick

Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 11:21:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rob Woods <rrtwoods@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-2046463459-1178821297=:50532

This reminds me of the Kea, a New Zealand alpine parrot. They too have a taste for rubber and routinely attack parked cars breakline fluid hoses. Not great when you have a couple thousand feet of elevation downhill drive to discover the problem on.

  Rob Woods
  Georgefield

phil.forman@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:
  I had the same problem at work here in Debert one summer about 8 years ago...the "crow" (I never looked too hard at it, assume it was a crow) kept stripping wipers of their rubber. After purchasing a few replacement wipers, I had my mother-in-law sew me some leather covers that could be snapped onto the wipers while I was at work...looked funny, but it sure worked!! (One guy at work referred to them as windshield wiper condoms!)
The same "crow" spent many a day jumping at our company entrance glass door, trying to get to the metal push bar that was inside...it provided some "cheep" entertainment.

Maria Forman
Debert, NS

> From: c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca
> Date: 2007/05/10 Thu AM 09:50:15 EDT
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] ravens attack rcmp cars in berwick
>
> Hi folks,
>
> At Mary's Pt. in NB the ravens used to do this to my father's car
> with great regularity. I seem to recall that he had to put things on
> the front windshield in order to stop them from getting access to the
> area. Perhaps David Christie will recall more details.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> On 10-May-07, at 10:19 AM, iamclar@dal.ca wrote:
>
> > Hi Andy, et al.:
> >
> > These windshield wiper depredations have been documented elsewhere
> > (I'm trying
> > to remember where), and it has been speculated that the ravens view
> > the wipers
> > as easily removed branchlets for nest building or augmentation.
> > They're clever,
> > but not too clever!
> >
> > Cheers, Ian

always stay connected to friends.
--0-2046463459-1178821297=:50532

 glass door, trying to get to the metal push bar that was inside...it provided some "cheep" entertainment.<BR><BR>Maria Forman<BR>Debert, NS<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; From: c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca<BR>&gt; Date: 2007/05/10 Thu AM 09:50:15 EDT<BR>&gt; To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<BR>&gt; Subject: Re: [NatureNS] ravens attack rcmp cars in berwick<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Hi folks,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; At Mary's Pt. in NB the ravens used to do this to my father's car <BR>&gt; with great regularity. I seem to recall that he had to put things on <BR>&gt; the front windshield in order to stop them from getting access to the <BR>&gt; area. Perhaps David Christie will recall more details.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Cheers,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Chris<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; On 10-May-07, at 10:19 AM, iamclar@dal.ca wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; Hi Andy, et al.:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; These windshield wiper depredations have been documented elsewhere <BR>&gt; &gt; (I'm trying<BR>&gt; &gt; to remember where), and it has been
 speculated that the ravens view <BR>&gt; &gt; the wipers<BR>&gt; &gt; as easily removed branchlets for nest building or augmentation. <BR>&gt; &gt; They're clever,<BR>&gt; &gt; but not too clever!<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Cheers, Ian<BR>&gt; <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><p>&#32;

<hr size=1>Don't be flakey. Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and
always stay connected to friends. --0-2046463459-1178821297=:50532--