[NatureNS] Porcupines and atlassing in Pictou Co.

Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 14:23:33 -0400
From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_IWObT3uWxKQSCct1foz9Aw)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
Hi Randy and all
Gary Murray and I did some owling in the Kenzieville and French River squares in Pictou Co last night. We saw 3 Porcupines  er route so they must be quite active. We only had one pair of Barred Owls, but it was nice hearing them dueting form across a valley. It was just on zero last night and there was a lot of flowing water. I could not bump a few earlier owls observations to a higher breeding code,  Bummer. Will have to try again.

This morning I atlassed in the Battery Lake square and was quite happy to hear a display call from Greater Yellowlegs from a sprucey boggy area near one of the lakes. I did not visually observe the bird, but they have nested in nearby squares other years so there is a good probability they will nest near the Battery Lake- a good record for the Antigonish area.  The area was full of singing Palm and Yellow-rumped warblers as well as Ruby-crowned Kinglets. These are likely some of the most common nesting birds in the area.  A male Surf Scoter was on Taylor Lake. Likely touched down for a rest during migration. The ducks I saw paired up were Blacks, Ring-
 Necked and Common Mergansers. I think I flushed a Black from a nest, but I could not find it with a quick look so I backed away. It is easier to count the young when they hatch out.
I saw a Mourning Cloak and one of the Sulfurs? It was a yellowish butterfly but I did not get a great look. A very nice day on Pictou Co. with more to come!
cheers
Ken