[NatureNS] id and info on gull egg photo

Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 16:02:24 -0300
From: "Jonathan Riley" <lifebaby@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_76792_13730723.1178478144671

thanks richard - ididnt know if you experienced experts could tell gull eggs
apart or not - haha

this was a much smaller colony than on brier - i didnt see other nests but i
might guess there were no more than another dozen in this little cove just
east of Sandy Cove on the fundy side - steep out of the way site

i appreciate all the info -

On 5/6/07, Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That looks typical of a GBB or Herring Gull's nest. They both
> colonially nest by the thousands at the western end of Brier Island, and no
> doubt elsewhere along Digby Neck. There used to be a tradition amongst
> Westporters to collect gulls' eggs on mother's day and bake a cake with
> them. Herring Gull eggs are a little paler. There are usually 3 eggs per
> nest, and nesting usually starts early May and continues through to
> mid-summer. Incubation is 26-30 days till the chicks hatch.
>
> Richard
>

> On 5/6/07, Jonathan Riley <lifebaby@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would appreciate any help.
> >
> > A short walk turned into a three hour hike yesterday on Digby Neck.
> > I startled myself when i came upon these three big eggs -
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverwalker/486216299/
> >
> > i felt horrible intruding into this space and took off right away - i
> > hope i didnt do any harm just passing through?
> >
> > The parents were nowhere to be seen though i did see a gull with black
> > wings on the opposite cliffs after i left.
> > so im guessing greater black-backed gull??
> >
> > when do they hatch normally here in Digby County?
> >
> > thanks for anything
> > Jonathan Riley
> > lifebaby@gmail.com
> >

> --
> #################
> Dr.Richard Stern,
> 70 Exhibition St.
> Kentville, NS
> B4N 4K9
>
> Richard Stern,
> 317 Middle Dyke Rd.
> Port Williams
> B0P 1T0
>
> rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
> rbstern@xcountry.tv
> sternrichard@gmail.com

------=_Part_76792_13730723.1178478144671

thanks richard - ididnt know if you experienced experts could tell gull eggs apart or not - haha<br><br>this was a much smaller colony than on brier - i didnt see other nests but i might guess there were no more than another dozen in this little cove just east of Sandy Cove on the fundy side - steep out of the way site
&gt; wrote:</span>
I startled myself when i came upon these three big eggs - <br><br><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverwalker/486216299/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverwalker/486216299/

rbstern@xcountry.tv</a><br><a href="mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>###################

------=_Part_76792_13730723.1178478144671--