[NatureNS] id and info on gull egg photo

Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 14:44:34 -0400
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_63632_17317308.1178477074196

Hi,

That looks typical of a GBB or Herring Gull's nest. They both
colonially nest by the thousands at the western end of Brier Island, and no
doubt elsewhere along Digby Neck. There used to be a tradition amongst
Westporters to collect gulls' eggs on mother's day and bake a cake with
them. Herring Gull eggs are a little paler. There are usually 3 eggs per
nest, and nesting usually starts early May and continues through to
mid-summer. Incubation is 26-30 days till the chicks hatch.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.Richard Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams
B0P 1T0

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com

------=_Part_63632_17317308.1178477074196

I startled myself when i came upon these three big eggs - <br><br><a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverwalker/486216299/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverwalker/486216299/
rbstern@xcountry.tv<br><a href="mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com"> sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>################### ------=_Part_63632_17317308.1178477074196--