[NatureNS] Margaretville coast etc.

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 16:19:39 -0300

I did the usual coast tour this morning, but the results are not usual. The
fishing nets now run all along the near shore from Cottage cove right
through Port George and the area has become almost devoid of birds except at
the extreme eastern side. At the moment it is not really worth a visit. On
the other side of the coin, the Margaretville shore is showing more activity
than normal, so probably some of the birds have just moved over.

PORT GEORGE:-
7 Harlequins - 9 Common Eiders - 7 Horned Grebes and 13 Common Loons, plus a
flight of 12 Purple Sandpipers.

MARGARETVILLE:-
20 Common Mergansers - 6 Eiders - 27 Surf Scoters - 12 White Winged
Scoters - 5 Black Scoters - 9 Common Loons - 2 Horned Grebes. There was also
a single Thick Billed Murre looking as if it was trying to hide itself in
the middle of a group of Surf Scoters and Mergansers.

Pat Giffin has just reported on the MARGARETVILLE D.U. property. When I was
there I saw essentially the same birds and in addition an immature Bald
Eagle, and my first 4 Tree Swallows in this area.

At home in KINGSTON a couple of CATBIRDS have arrived and were making quite
a noise. I have missed them, they are one of my normal sounds of summer.

John Belbin - Kingston