[NatureNS] GOLDEN EAGLE sightings (2) from Windsor to

Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 18:30:29 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Angela Slaunwhite <adslaun@ns.sympatico.ca>

>April 27, 2007 - Today Mike Dadswell told me that, on two different
>occasions between Apr. 15 and 19/07, he saw well an IMMATURE GOLDEN EAGLE
>locally.  Both sightings were along Hwy. 101, first near the Windsor
>Causeway toward Wolfville, and second somewhere between Hantsport and
>Avonport.  He checked a field guide to check on the markings seen, and the
>drawings fit his observations.  Both times the eagle was a low elevations
>along the highway.  Needless to say, it's likely that both sightings were of
>the same individual eagle.  Mike commutes from Chester to Wolfville a few
>times a week and is an excellent observer and naturalist with interests in
>all forms of life.
>
>I wish we had corroborating photos to share like David Christie did for us
>not so long ago.

Well!

Thursday I was driving to Falmouth from Windsor  and going over the
bridge ( the old #1 ) .

I saw a very large bird flying over the highway at about Jeff Auto.
At first I thought it was a heron, but it seemed " too heavy"  and I
couldn't notice the long legs behind it. There are eagles around  but
the outline didn't really fit that either. No white head and it
seemed even builkier than a bald eagle.

I was soooooo tempted to pull over and watch it but I  was running
late and had exactly 2 minutes to get to my classroom before the bell
rang. AS it was I was driving forward but my head was craned around
backwards trying to watch it for as long as I could.

My thought was golden eagle as well. I can definately say it wasn't a
heron or a bald eagle.

Angela in Windsor.

--
Angela Slaunwhite