[NatureNS] armchair birdwatching

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:52:08 -0300

	It was great to see Nellie on line and hear about her window view -
to be envied, for sure.
	On the Easter weekend I was visiting and was not feeling quite up
to snuf. Besides the weather was horrid. So I sat in the rocking chair beside
a porch window and saw all sorts of birds just by sitting still and over a
length of time. Sometimes I think we move around too much as birders and
ought to consider using the "blind" techique a little more often. I was
watching on a regular basis four lovely Fox Sparrows, Song, Tree, White -
throated Sparrows and Juncos, Purple and Goldfinches, Pheasants, Red
winged Blackbirds, Grackles, both Downey and Hairy Woodpeckers,
Evening Grosbeaks, Black-capped Chickadees, Crows and Robins within a
few inches of the window separating us. It allows one amazing detail that
you often don't pick up when you are outside. It also tends to become an
interesting study in behavioural interaction for the available food!
	Last spring my hostess was sitting in the same chair when a Bittern
strode across her lawn, crossed the highway successfully and entered the
huge marsh  where hopefully it nested.  Recently Marie saw a Ruffed
Grouse in the yard, because she was inside and sitting quietly.
	Keep us posted with those interesting reports, Nellie. We'd all envy
a Wood Duck parading by our windows!  JET