[NatureNS] Blue spotted Salamander

From: "Wild Flora" <herself@wildflora.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:30:51 -0300

Hi Jean and Chris,

Thanks as always for your help.

I'm kicking myself for having forgotten to photograph this salamander this
morning. I know perfectly well that John Gilhen and others like to get
photos of salamanders with dates and locations where they were found, and
yet taking a photo did not occur to me until an hour AFTER I had taken the
salamander out to the marsh. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I will try to do
better for the rest of the season.

There's a good chance I'll see more blue spotted salamanders in the
basement. This Picasa web album shows photos I took on one day in September
2003 when I found and decided to relocate a number of my basement
salamanders:
http://picasaweb.google.com/wildflora/SalamandersSeptember2003

There were a total of four yellow spotted salamanders (though I only got
pictures of three), but I also had one blue spotted (photographed several
times) and a red eft. This is a pretty typical sample of the salamanders
that turn up in my basement.

FYI, I live in an old farmhouse next to a marsh and pond in the Stewiacke
Valley near Middle Stewiacke. The basement used to flood regularly; I was
able to stop that but there are still some cracks in the walls through which
water gets into the basement during rainy weather. Every year in spring and
fall, when it's rainy, I start finding salamanders in the basement. I
believe they may be coming in via rodent tunnels.

Wild Flora