[NatureNS] honeybees working crocuses ALSO salamander

Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 11:35:28 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Wild Flora wrote:

>I too had a bee-like insect working my crocuses yesterday. It looked like a
>honeybee--even had large pollen sacks on the legs--but I could count only
>two wings. Is it safe for me to assume that this was indeed a honeybee and
>that I was just having trouble seeing the second pair of wings? (The insect
>was moving so quickly that I did have trouble getting a good look at her.)

Hi Flora & All,            Apr 21, 2007
    It was a honeybee. When parked, the small hind wings are hidden
beneath the front wings. In favourable light the hind wings can be seen
at eye level; e.g. when Honeybees are working sunflower.

    Sometimes circular reasoning (as in Sudoku) helps. Because it had
large pollen sacks it must have been a bee and therefore had four wings.
Because it looked like a Honeybee and buzzed like a Honeybee ---

DW, Kentville