[NatureNS] Nature Comments

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 01:52:30 +0000

Hi all:

First off a new bird for my yard list yesterday.  One that I have never had
in any yard that I have lived at.  Probably not exciting to most of you, but
to me it was as I always get excited over a new yard bird, especially one
that has not visited any property that I have lived at before.  It was a
savannah sparrow.

Today I went to try and get my Breeding Bird route squared away at Peggy's
Cove so that the stops and info are accurate and so I don't have to scratch
my head when running it and have to keep backtracking trying to find the
locations for a specific stop.  Since this route was set up originally,
there sure must have been a lot of changes.  Even from notes I made of
inaccuracies last year I had problems.  Anyhow, I did okey and have
pinpointed with accuracy 47 out of the 50 stops.  I guess the other three I
will still have to try and figure out on the day that I run it this year in
June.

Anyhow, on the way back I saw my first osprey somewheres after Peggy's Cove
and headed in the direction of St. Margarets Bay.

This evening at the lake trout fishing I noticed mosquitos out and about.
There were also a lot of insects on the water and even a few early mayflies.
  It was nice to hear two barred owls vocalizing before dark.  One close by
and another at quite a distance.

On the way home afterward along the Grimm Road an owl flew across the road
in front of me, which I believe was a northern saw-whet, but I did not see
it well.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Add the Windows Live Messenger NHL Stats Agent to your buddy list and get
your stats fix instantly http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/NHL/NHL_Stats_Agent