[NatureNS] Port George etc.

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:51:05 -0300

This was a great day to get over to the coast after all the miserable stormy
and freezing weather we have had. It was bright, sunny, clear and very
calm - a good photographers day. Tide was low at 10 am and coming in
rapidly. The number of Horned Grebes and Common Loons seemed uncommonly
high.
14 Horned Grebes
17 Common Loons
21 Surf Scoters
120 Common Eiders
10 White winged Scoters
4 Black Scoters
8 Northern Gannets headed down the Bay as usual.
5 Long Tailed Ducks
3 Red Necked Grebes
16 Harlequin Ducks - I almost missed most of these. There were 4 at the bend
and the other dozen popped out of nowhere when I walked right down to the
water's edge. They posed well for their photos though!

MARGARETVILLE D.U.
The water level here is very high.
2 pairs of Hooded Mergansers, it looks as if they will nest here.
4 Black Ducks
A few Red winged Black birds, not very active.

MARGARETVILLE
The shore here is strewn with debris from the storms, it is quite a mess and
more is still floating in. The strangest species here was a large group of
survey students from COGS, their Trimble GPS units seeming to grow out of
their backpacks like giant weeds. Even rougher looking, if you can believe
it, was a group of 10 Long Tailed Ducks. They must be still be moulting, and
this scraggy-looking group took a long time to identify. For a while they
could have been almost anything! There were also 2 Common Loons and 16
Common Eiders.

KINGSTON
Back home (until I move to Hantsport this summer) the feeders are still very
active. I had my first female Cowbird yesterday plus visits from the
Cardinal pair that have been here all winter. A pair of Fox Sparrows have
now been here for 3 weeks and don't seem to want to leave the my food. At
one point I had Tree, Chipping and Song Sparrows at the same feeder at the
same time. With all the Grackles and Red wing Blackbirds visiting, the
feeders empty at an unbelievable rate - I wonder if I can get a subsidy?

John Belbin - Kingston