[NatureNS] More Fox Sparrows (and a Cardinal)

From: Sherman Williams <sherm@glinx.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:31:35 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I have been keeping the occasional eye on two Fox Sparrows that have
been scratching and feeding around my yard for at least the last
three days and I have enjoyed hearing their song a few times as well.

Yesterday afternoon while watching the Fox Sparrow a female Cardinal
hopped down on my table feeder near the dining room window. That was
an exciting surprise as this is the first female Cardinal I've seen
here. She remained in sight for less than a minute, just long enough
for a good look at her, and then, while I dashed for the camera, she
disappeared.   Three years ago we had a male Cardinal spend part of
two days.   Shortly after seeing the female, I heard Cardinal song,
the the richly whistled,  "whew,whew, whew, whew! , the pattern was
repeated about 4 times over about two or three minutes and then
nothing more since.

Lots of Song Sparrow singing going on here, even during the Easter
Sunday snowstorm.

Here is Horton Bluff (Avonport ).

Sherman

Sherman Williams