[NatureNS] Saw-whet Owl, Halifax

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:22:05 -0300

Many thanks to Ian and specially Brian Starzomski who gave me the latest
update so I took a five-dollar cab (in fear of missing it) and it was my
first 'real' saw whet owl outside the artificial environment after seeing
the first two whose homes were wooden boxes. For 45 minutes, I was able to
study/ practise identifying it at length and at a distance. Some small kids
were sharp-eyed and looked up while their parents didn't. Some passerbys
were not aware (too busy chatting on their cell phone) while others looked
up. The owl was oblivious to noisy buses, trucks, and cars passing by. Most
of the time, its face looked away from the bright sun... Never dreamed I
would see it so close to where I live (downtown) and right in the city. I am
one happy camper/ birder

Cheers, liz>