[NatureNS] A "different" robin

From: "John Sollows" <nhungjohn@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 08:56:03 -0300

To:  All

From:  John Sollows,
399 Wyman Road,
Yarmouth, N. S.
B5A 4A6

date:  April 7/07

We have had fits and starts of robins around fopr the past two or three
weeks.  (Should have been more systematic about the first sighting, but such
is life!).  All the birds seen so far had black heads, distinctly set off
from the rest of the body.  The "Newfoundland" robin?

This overcast morning about 8:45, a somewhat different bird appeared:  The
change in colour from body to  head was very gradual, and there was a more
pronounced greyish streak over each eye.  Different subspecies?

We saw the bird through a window, at a distance of about ten feet, below
some rose bushes, to the north of us.