[NatureNS] Barrow's Goldeneye - New Minas Sewage Ponds - Fri

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:49:35 -0300

Fri Mar 23 /07.

Had a quick check of the New Minas Sewage Ponds this afternoon and found the
male BARROW'S GOLDENEYE.  (possibly the same individual that had been
hanging around the Port Williams Sewage Ponds a week or so ago?)

Of other note were 2-3 Iceland Gulls sitting on a structure in the far pond.

Still some ice in one or two holding ponds so it was relatively quiet. Only
a few gulls resting on the banks, mostly Herring and Ring-billed with a
couple of GBBG for contrast!   Also found  ~40 ducks (Mallards and Blacks),
sunning themselves tucked into the sheltered reedy areas of the banks.

Two hours later I stopped by the Port Williams Sewage Ponds on my way home,
just to check if a male Barrow's Goldeneye was in the vicinity, and found
(as Angus has reported earlier) a pair of  N Shovelers instead, plus 13 prs
of Mallards and an extra single male, with the southern pond still holding
quite a bit of ice.

Cheers
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts