[NatureNS] Song sparrows and overwintering

Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 12:35:21 -0400
From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

In relation to Song Sparrows singing before spring, I'm recycling this
message from a few weeks ago, on Feb. 16th...:

Song Sparrow's gusto <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Feb 16 2007 - 8:52am
Though Song Sparrows are sighted in these months, I can't recall hearing and
seeing a livelier, more animated one in winter than a visitor to Edinbrugh
St. in Halifax a couple of days ago. Despite its somewhat bedraggled
appearance and the wintry fluffing of its feathers, it let out a prolonged,
ongoing song with great loudness and gusto, as if this were May rather than
February.