[NatureNS] re ruffed grouse

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: Win & Ina <win@eastlink.ca>, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 12:26:49 -0400

Oooh, is there any chance that you have Gray Partridge instead?  Truro is about the only
place in the Province where there are any left. They were introduced a number of years ago
and prospered to the point where they were hunted. Then, all of a sudden, their numbers,
crashed, and most areas completely lost their flocks including here in the Valley. I think
there may be a tiny flock in the Windsor/Falmouth area still. Gray Partridge seem to be less
skitish/more feeder friendly than the Ruffs, so it just made me wonder where you did not
mention their timid behaviour, and the larger numbers might also indicate Grays rather than
Ruffed. I hope that you may have them instead and are definitely helping them stay alive in
these bitter winds.